Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Goal oriented is a good description for most of us.
We all want to accomplish. When my children were
younger I was so frustrated one time that I told
Kent that my to-do list for the day was to wipe
every snotty nose I saw, change every diaper that
was wet or dirty, make sure everyone was fed, swipe
up every spilt glass of milk and get all little ones to sleep
before midnight. That was it, I could do no more.

I read a funny story, long ago, about to-do lists. A son
asked his mother why his dad's list was long and only
had a few things marked off, but hers had everything
marked off. She laughed and said, "I only put things
down on my list after I've already done them." Brilliant.

Today I have only one goal.

That Christ may dwell in [my] heart
through faith; that [I], being rooted
and grounded in love, may be able to
comprehend with all the saints what
is the width and length and depth and height-
to know the love of Christ which passes
knowledge; that [I] may be filled with
all the fulness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19


Sure I hope to do my 4 loads of laundry, cook
chicken and dumplings for the gang for dinner,
finish all the home-schooling that I feel needs
to be accomplished, dust, vacuum...list without end.
But the only really-truly goal, the thing I will ask
myself if I accomplished when I lay in my bed
tonight, will be- Did I realize the full love of God for
even just a moment? If I did, then, you know, it
was a really worthwhile and lovely day.

No comments: