Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Blessing my children at bedtime has been a delightful
way for me to end the day. Quietly I walk into their
rooms; sometimes I hold their hand or lightly
touch them, sometimes I just poke my head around
the corner and whisper the words to them. I don't
have a pat blessing. There are times when I am
frustrated with one of them and don't want to do it,
and then I have gone into their room later when my
heart is softer and they are asleep. It may take them
going to sleep before my heart is forgiving. I don't feel
that it is a "magic" thing, and if I skip a night, or a week,
I am not afraid of bad things happening.

Yet, to leave them with a blessing as their last connection
with their parents at night has been a strengthening tie.
"May the Lord keep you. May you grow in His grace and
knowledge." Or, "May you become the woman of God that
He has planned for you to become." Or, "May He who began
a good work in you complete it until the day of Christ Jesus."

Today in Psalm 26:12A I found a new blessing. It reads:

My foot stands in an even place;


Wow! To stand in an even place is incredible. That even place
is the God of the universe. I have always loved the thought
of being stayed on the Lord. So, to read that verse is like hitting
a homerun in baseball. And that is what I want for my kids.
The world offers only a slippery slope through their philosophies,
morals, and popular thinking. But God offers an even place. He
offers a firm foundation. He offers permanence. I think I'll use
this blessing tonight. "May God plant your foot and keep it in an
even place."

1 comment:

Susannah said...

I used to sing to my daughter at bedtime. She still remembers that song at age 20! Good for you for persisting.