Thursday, May 04, 2006

My husband works at home and I have
discovered that this is the grace that God has
given me. In the past my sister and I have
often commiserated with each other because
she is in the same position. Not only do I have
the children calling for my attention, and not
only is the house calling for my attention, and
not only do I have a long list of people to contact,
errands to run etc. daily, I also hear many times
throughout the day, "Laurie, I need your help."

I never questioned my position as helpmeet. I
know the big picture, however, the day to day
could be discouraging. It could make one almost
envious of nice engineer husbands who work from
nine to five and have a commute of 30 minutes
each way. But, from the beginning, we have done
everything together. I audited seminary classes,
I help wherever I can in the church, we discuss
sermon ideas, I have even held horses in the past
to calm them down for shoeing. And, of course,
with our little farm, whenever Kent needs help,
there I am. (Especially now that the boys are grown
or nearly so.)

Today, I was going to clean the porch and then go
to town to grocery shop. I had a lot of laundry to
take care of, and of course the schooling that needs
to be accomplishedwas also in the mix. But from early
on Kent needed me in the furnace shed to help put
up insulation. And added to that major problems with his
e-mail account which we spent hours working on today.

At least the school work got done. And thanks to the
crockpot we had a good dinner.

But the truly blessed thing is that I am realizing more
and more that having a work-from-home husband
is part of the grace that God has given me. He has
providenced that my life would fall into these lines
and it is for my own good. I wish that I could have
realized this more deeply as a younger woman rather
than wasting my time wishing for more Me-Time.

And we know that all things work together for
good to those who love God, to those who are
the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

Now I am trying to see how God has tied it all
together, and I am trying to see what it is that He
is building into my life through the peculiar lifestyle
He has placed me in.

No comments: