Friday, July 07, 2006

It is not always easy being married to a pastor/theologian.
I compare the two of us to two water creatures. Kent is
like the catfish at the bottom of the stream. He comes up
to an idea and he looks at it slowly and from every direction.
He considers and considers and considers it. I am like the
little waterbug on top of the water, skating around, bumping
into a subject, taking a nibble, getting my fill very quickly
and moving on. So he is deep and I am shallow, and somehow
the two have to be melded together. He causes me to think
a lot more than I would on my own, dad-gum a lot more than
I want to. I admit my little pea-brain, left to itself, likes to be
lazy. Perhaps this is a part of the grace that God has given
to me; maybe it is a part of His plan for growing me up into Him
so that I can realize the fulness of Him.

Psalm 36:5-9

Your mercy, O Lord, is in the heavens;
Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.
Your righteousness is ike the great mountains;
Your judgments are a great deep;
O Lord, You preserve man and beast.

How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God!
Therefore the children of men put their trust
under the shadow of Your wings.
They are abundantly satisfied with the fulness
of Your house,
And You give them drink from the river of Your
pleasures.
For with You is the fountian of life;
In Your light we see light.

I don't know that that Psalm has anything to do with
this post. But it sure has some ideas for nibblers like
me to take a quick bite of. His judgements are a great
deep. Whoa! We see light because of His light. Double
Whoa!

2 comments:

Susannah said...

I think you have some very good insights too! But how does a pastor/theologian survive life in the country? Sequestered away and surrounded by books, I suppose.

Now I must ask you: What is a "dad-gum?" That's a new one to me!

Laurie said...

He survives in part by considering it a mission...almost like being on foreign soil. "Dad-gum" means "darn" or "shoot". The funny thing is Kent never uses this saying, but I caught him saying it just this past Sunday in conversation. When I mentioned it to him he admitted that he had noticed using it because he so seldom does.