Monday, November 20, 2006

News from the farm.

Ecclesiastes 3:1,2

To everything there is a season,
A time for every purpose under heaven:
A time to be born,
And a time to die;

This past week we had the full circle of farm life. We
lost our beloved Fezzik, our Great Pyranees goat dog,
to bone cancer. He was a wonderful dog. He wasn't
a barker by nature and so at night, when his deep
bark would sometimes ring out, I'd feel very secure.
It would wake me from my sleep and I'd think, "There's
nothing to worry about." I knew that if there was a coyote
after the kids or a fox in the field Fezzik would take care
of the varmint.

One day we were sitting at the kitchen table and we saw
a dog jump over the fence into our field. Fezzik never even
barked, he just went bounding towards the intruder and
that foreign dog turned tail and jumped back over the
fence like a streak of lightning. We're going to miss our
gigantic fuzzball.

A few days after losing Fezzik, I came home to a bouncing
and excited Hattiegirl. Newborn twin goats were the
culprit of all the hooplah. She'd been out to hold them and
they were, "So sweet". Hattie is very patient with taming
down our goats and cows. They are her buddies.

So life goes on here on Fernnook Farm. Sorrow and joy are
intermingled at every turn.

Ecclesiastes 3:4

A time to weep,
And a time to laugh;
A time to mourn,
And a time to dance;

2 comments:

SGRC said...

I went and played with the baby goats yesterday. They are so adorable! I tried my hardest to make a "Baahhh" noise like them. Sadly, I did not succeed.

Susannah said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. :~( So life goes on here on Fernnook Farm. Sorrow and joy are
intermingled at every turn.
I suppose it's that way for us in the Big City too. We all sing the blues from time to time. Good thing Thanksgiving is right around the corner... it's a wonderful time to remember that the glass is half full, even while simultaneously it's half empty too. :~)