Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Who would imagine that here near the end of November
Grandma Opal would still be picking lettuce out of her
garden. She brought a home-grown lettuce salad to the
party last night. (It was to go along with the Pumpkin Pie
she baked.)

Paul told Timothy to not look down on his youth. Turn
that around and it is just as true. We should not look down
on what is further along in life.

There are delightful surprises that are dropped down into
our 70's, 80's and even 90's...maybe 100's. And beyond that,
we can't retire from serving God. I look at my and Kent's
parents and am so thankful. All are in their 70's. Three are
closer to 80 than 70 and all are active in their service to the
Lord. They teach, they fellowship, they work at the "little
jobs", they even go on mission trips. What a heritage for their
children, grand-children and future generations. May I be
as they are in the Autumn of my life.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Yes, so true...my mom turns 80 next March and I'm so thankful for her!

And I love mingling with older people...I always seem to gain something from them. And some of them have so much wisdom. In generations past, older people were revered - but now youth is. I think that is all backward!
OK...I go on, but need to go clean house for company!

Susannah said...

You're so fortunate to be able to observe your elders close-up. They are truly an inspiration! (Our grandparents are long gone.) My folks live about 5 hours away and they're unable to visit due to health issues. We do most of the trekking to see them, but blended families are a tad bit stressful. My husband's Mom just moved to our city. Suddenly we have all these responsiblities--although we're happy to help. I pray your older folks continue to be healthy and zealous to serve the Lord. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Laurie!