Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Yesterday I sat down with the two youngest to
have a short devotion and prayer time. My Bible
just happened to fall open to Proverbs 30 and my
eyes lighted on verse 17. So, though that wasn't
my original intention, I thought it would be funny
to read it, and I did so using my most serious and
dreadful voice.

The eye that mocks his father,
And scorns obedience to his mother,
The ravens of the valley will pick it out,
And the young eagles will eat it.

Princess Daughter looked at me in disbelief. She took
the Bible out of my hand and said. "It doesn't say
that." She looked down and saw instantly that it did.
But she quickly covered it with her hand and said,
"Here's what it really says." Oh No, I knew what was
coming next, but I couldn't react quickly enough to
stop her.

She read verses 18 and 19.

There are three things which are too wonderful for me,
Yes, four which I do not understand:
The way of an eagle in the air,
The way of a serpent on a rock,
The way of a ship in the midst of the sea,
(And I knew it was coming, it was one of those dream-
like experiences....I just couldn't move.)
And the way of a man with a virgin.

So there you have it. Our devotion for the day.

I quickly looked over at verses 5 and 6 which I had
underlined. I said, "What I really meant to read to you
today was this."

Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

I guess I won't be soon silly again in our sanctifying
systematic seizing of the second for searching the
Scriptures.

No comments: