Friday, March 02, 2007

I love getting to the ends of the various epistles of
the New Testament because the benedictions that are
given are so apt for nightly blessings for my own
children.

Hebrews has a beautiful benediction (nightly blessing).

Hebrews 13:20-21
Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus
from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through
the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete
in every good work to do His will, working in you what
is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to
whom be glory forever and ever. Amen.

I don't say the whole of the two verses when I glide
through the rooms at night. I pick out the kernel and
whisper those words.

I got a funny feeling though when today, as I continued
in James, I read these words.

James 1:2,3
My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various
trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces
patience. But let patience have its perfect work,
that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.

Ouch.

I don't want my children to endure trials. But then again,
if it causes them to become "complete in every good work
to do His will," maybe I do.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

You are a very loving Mom. May your children rise up and call you blessed.

And I love this: Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead,

that great Shepherd of the sheep,

through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

make you complete in every good work to do His will,

working in you what is well pleasing in His sight,

through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever.


I haven't savored each phrase of that before now. What a beautiful passage!

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

that is so precious, that you bless your children at night with a benediction - what an example!