Friday, May 18, 2007

As I was fixing breakfast for Billy, a scrambled egg
and half of a bagel for those who are curious, I glanced
at Kent who was sitting in his chair reading from The
Bondage of the Will by Martin Luther. He was smirking.
My curiosity was aroused.

Like the fool that I am I asked, "What's so funny?"

His reply, "Augustine says, 'What chatters more than
an empty head?'"

Immediate and loud laughter erupted from two quarters.

I take it as a mark of personal growth that I did not
immediately think Kent was referring to me.

Five minutes later there was the smirk again. This time
I refrained from asking. It was of no use though.

Kent, without prompting said, "And Quintilian says, 'There
is none who would not rather appear to know than to learn.'"

He hit a bullseye with that one. If you want a window to
my soul just meditate on that quote a bit. Ouch.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

Gosh, that's a doozy of a quote by Quintilian... and how true for all of us! OUCH.