Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Last night, at about 9:30, Kent and I walked down to the
middle of our driveway and watched the moonrise. It started
with a glow of orange over the trees and moment by moment
the brightness increased as Mr. Moon raced up from behind the
treeline to finally shine forth in all his glory alone in
the sky. Then Kent spoke, "Then God made two great lights:
the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to
rule the night."

I'd been hearing rumors that the fireflies were beginning
their nightly show, but I'd not seen any yet. As we turned
and began to walk back to the house I saw them. Little bits
of twinkling magic scattered throughout the field and yard.
They aren't thick yet, as they will be one night soon; then
it will look as though all the stars of heaven have fallen
into my field. But, they were there.

It was a lovely way to end the day. Kent and I celebrate our
26th anniversary tomorrow. He fulfills my definition of
romance. Romance is being there. It is being there when I
wake in the morning, when I am crabby, when I am cute, when
I am in distress, and when I am tired. That moonrise was our
anniversary gift to each other. What else is needed?

No comments: