Thursday, September 21, 2017

Old Days Up and Down the Gravel
















Excerpt from a letter written by G'ma Opal to Kent, Joel, and me on
Sat. Oct. 19, 1985  1:30 P.M.

(She had just gotten back from a visit to South Carolina where we were
living at the time.  I will put ellipsis to indicate the parts that I am not copying.
I did add some capital letters and periods and altered the spelling in a few
places.)

How are my youngun's? ....We got back home to my house just about this time 
one week ago today.  Everything was O.K. even the cats had been fed regularly.
The drive was full of cars and trucks.  Bill & Wanda with his new truck.  John
& Lucille with their truck.  Jim's car and my old car so when we pulled in we
had a full house.

I made the trip back fine but woke up Monday morning with a stiff neck with
lots of pain.  I stayed on the bed most of the day as it hurt too bad to move.  But
I got better as the week went by.  I'm O.K. now except I still can't turn my 
head to the left.  I guess I just looked at the beautiful mountains too much.  Ha Ha.

We came through the mountains on the Blue Ridge Skyway.  Boy was it "breath-
takingly" beautiful.  Don't know any news only Frank Simon had to have heart
surgery.  He had a double by pass.  The dr's say he is doing fine.  Lucille went back 
with Jim last week. She is still up there.  Frank has to have his momie take care
of him.  Ha.

And our St. Louis Cards won now tonite.  They are starting the World Series "whoopie."

"Well," here it is 3 days later.  You've heard of "slow."  That's me.  The Cards have
already won 2 games.  So its just a matter of time till they are World Champions.

....I want to thank you for my nice visit at your house.

If you were not so "far" away it would be better but the good Lord has been good
to us.

We can be together in our mind and hearts.

So you take care of each other and if the Lord wills I'll see you in December.

May God bless and keep you all the days of  your life.

Lots of love
Opal Faye Grandma-

(P.S.) I got your card
Thank you.
  Thank you-
I still lack 4 days being 3/4 of a century.

What a wonderful Grandma she was.  I so enjoyed my years, later on, of living
down the gravel from her.  I would dearly love to drop in to her place for a game
of cards tonight.


1 comment:

KFleeter said...

❤️