Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Up and Down the Gravel
















Things were very busy with traveling and company during the summer months.
And, now it seem as though there isn't very much happening Up and Down the
Gravel.

Yet, after a little contemplation, there is some news to report.

Tomorrow Sister-In-Law Debby's sister, Patty, and her three grown children,
Sarah, Matthew, and Josh are coming for a several day visit.  I've been told
an apple cobbler will be on the menu for dinner.

Oldest Granddaughter, Kathleen, who is really quite an expert on bugs of all
shapes and sizes, and who really quite adores most of them, got two nasty
caterpillar stings in the last week.

One was from a saddleback caterpillar and the other was from an io moth caterpillar.
Both were totally accidental.  One she touched when climbing a dirt pile and the other
when climbing a tree.

































That reminds me...there is a smallish praying mantis living on our front porch.
Much as I like yellow garden spiders, I dislike praying mantis.  Ever since one
began following me around when we lived in St. Peters, I have been totally creeped
out by them.

Youngest Granddaughter, Opal, not to be outdone in the pain category by Kathleen,
was burnt on the hand by a hair straightener.  (Not exactly on the gravel...but all
grandkid stories count as news for this blog.)  And, kudos are in order for Daughter-
In-Law Stacey for winning a coloring contest at the St. Charles Library.

Tyler and Jenn are moving to Ripley County.  Technically Jenn has moved, but Tyler
has to finish out the month working in St. Francois County.  They will be living in town
for awhile so they can get their bearings on where to live permanently.  It will be GOOD
to have them here!

Uncle Jim sent me a photo (it is really good) that is intended to be "fodder for the blog."
I am saving it for when I have an inspired moment of writing.

Fernnook Lodge is coming along.  Work on leveling the floors is progressing slowly
but surely.  Debby suggested tearing the lodge down and starting over, but somehow
she couldn't convince Mike that this was the best option at this point in the project.

The newest family member is Bella.  She belongs to Joel and Natalie.  She can't
quite fill Max's footprints yet, but as a Great Dane-Labrador mix she certainly
hopes to someday.

Lastly, I weeped me a little weep today because I came across a letter that G'ma Opal sent
to me in 1985 when we were living in South Carolina.  It was the original version of
Up and Down the Gravel.  She filled me in on all the doings here in Fern Nook.  I miss
her and mom so very much.



2 comments:

KFleeter said...

❤️

KFleeter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.