Sunday, October 01, 2017

Cypress Vines and the Girls of Fernnook

























Both Mom and G'ma Opal had cypress vines.  Mom's was at the south end
of her porch.  G'ma's was on the east side of her sleeping porch.  Cypress
vines have lacy leaves and beautifully delicate red flowers.

Last year I bought a packet of cypress vine seeds thinking that they would
look stunning on a white trellis that is beside our shed.  I didn't get around
to planting them, though.

But this year, fairly late in the season, I ran out and planted those seeds.  I
wasn't sure if they would come up, being over a year old, and, sure 'nuff
most of them didn't.  However, after a bit three hardy little plants did poke
up out of the ground.  They took weeks to begin to grow beyond an inch
or two, but when they decided to make their move...it was stupendous.
The above picture was from a few weeks ago.  They are now an absolute
curtain of vine and flowers.

Cypress vines are just an annual, at least in the growing zone that Fernnook
is in, but they often regrow from the seeds that drop.  Both Mom's and
G'ma Opal's vines reseeded themselves for years, though neither one is there
anymore.

Every time I see my vine, I think happy thoughts of those two Fernnook
Girls.

Uncle Jim sent me a picture of them which includes three other Fernnook
Girls; Debby, Tandy and me (and Becky...who may someday be a part-time
Fernnookian).  I hope this picture uploads correctly.  It was taken in
2000.

1 comment:

KFleeter said...

❤️