Tuesday, February 06, 2018















A few weeks ago Greg Henze asked me what I knew about Lone Star East.
He had recently heard about it and didn't realize that it even existed.  Greg
grew up in the Oak Grove area and attended the schoolhouse at Oak Grove.

I told him the little that I knew...which is that G'ma Opal, Dad, and uncles
and aunts and various other relatives had attended there.

It was on the corner of the Crowe property and the well or cistern is still
there.  I knew that Marjorie Edmonds (a distant relative) had taught
there for awhile.

Of course I have vague memories of stories from G'ma Opal of her running
around the school yard playing ball, and of dad getting switched because of
something he and a girl friend of his had done.  I remember also G'ma Opal
talking about the road she walked to get to school.  It was not K-2, but rather
was a lane that (I think) went from the Old Homeplace behind our property
and then up Joel's lane to the school.

But last night when I mentioned it to Papa, he reminded me of a few other
things about the school.

He attended there his first 6 weeks or so of 1st grade, before moving down
to Arkansas.  Later, there were a few random weeks a few years that he went
there.  And, then he actually finished up his last few weeks of 8th grade at
Lone Star East.  In between he was in several schools in Arkansas and several
in Texas.  He finished his schooling 9-12 grades in Texas.

When he graduated the 8th grade, there were two others who were in his
class.  Johnny Crowe was one of them and (Vercie ??) Hensley was the other.
Their teacher, Helen Boshears, took them down to the creek for a picnic outing
to celebrate.

Two others who taught over the years at Lone Star East were Mansell Rogers
and Helen Boshears.  Helen later wrote an article that was printed in the
Prospect News that told about her years teaching there.

The above picture is not Lone Star East.  Sadly I don't think I have ever seen an
actual picture of it.

No comments: