Saturday, February 03, 2018

The whole storytelling the other night started because we had
a pig picking and some friends of Tyler's were here and wanted
to hear stories of what it was like in the Ozarks.

The story Papa told of Shadrack Cora and the wood stove made
Joel remember a story of our own inside wood stove.

We haven't had it for years.  I loved that stove, but it did make
the house dirty, and it took up a lot of room.  For a long time now,
we have had an outdoor wood stove instead.

I don't even remember this story from Joel.  But he is pretty good
about remembering things, so I believe it happened.  We started a fire
one time, and I am guessing it was the first fire of the season.  On
top of the stove there was a glass vase and some flowers.  The
stove got so hot that the flowers caught on fire, and Kent grabbed
a blanket and threw it over the fire to put it out.  

That is not the last fire we had in that room.

The night of Tyler and Jen's wedding rehearsal, Kent and I returned
home later than the rest of the folks staying here.  It was cold in the
house, so I started the two gas wall heaters.

After a few seconds, flames began to shoot out of the heater in the
new room.  I began trying to turn the gas off to the stove, but Billy
yelled for me to get the fire extinguisher.  I grabbed it for him and
he put the fire out.  

One of his little people (Elsie or Opal) had put a piece of plastic in
the grate of the heater and that was what caught on fire.   When the
soot all settled, it covered almost every surface in the house.  It was
a mess!

There were several other crazy things that made that wedding weekend
memorable.  We had unexpected company (who were visiting other
company that we had) and when they came in (we had never met them
before) they came in carrying dozens of toilet paper rolls as a gift
for us.  The man was a toilet paper salesman (I think).  It seemed so
very funny to me.

Then we had a flat tire on the way to the wedding and had to abandon
our car because fixing it would have made us late for the ceremony.

But everything came off and it was a beautiful wedding!  


No comments: