Friday, December 08, 2006

You may be wondering just how little our Special
Christmas Tree
really is. I'll tell you.
















Robert Barry is the author of a wonderful children's
Christmas book called Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree.
I still have the copy of this that I had as a child.
Mr. Willowby gets an enormous tree for his home, but
it is a little too large and so they chop off the top
and throw it out. The butler then takes the top and
presents it to the maid, but it is again too tall
for the spot she has picked out and so--off with the
top. The gardener finds the little tree in the trash
and takes it to Mrs. Gardener, but once again it is
too tall, so "off with your head". This continues
on through a bear, a fox, some rabbits and finally
the tippy-top ends up in the little mousehole of
Mistletoe Mouse who just happens to live in the
large home of Mr. Willowby himself.

It is a delightful book. My tree is about the size
of Mr. Willowby's tree after it arrives at the
home of the bears. Not quite small enough for the
mantle (assuming we had one, which we don't), but
not even close to touching the ceiling as Mr. Willowby's
tree does.

It comes about up to my chin. It is adorable!

5 comments:

Susannah said...

What a cute story! I've never heard this before. (I'm planning to tell a Christmas tale on my blog too...) Did you see the special on TV this week where they installed an enormous Douglas Fir in the White House? (Round Room, I think.) Your story reminds me of that. :~)

Glad your family tree is so beloved. It sounds like the perfect size. We're doing ours on Sunday PM with the fam... plus Mexican hot chocolate, gingerbread, shortbread and mint milano cookies. Stop by! :~)

Tammy said...

I haven't heard of this story, either! Sounds really good! Thanks for the recommendation, Laurie!

Laurie said...

e-mom, I'd love to stop by. That sounds delicious and fun. How do you make Mexican hot chocolate?

Tammy, Your kids will love this book!

Susannah said...

Here is a recipe for Mexican hot chocolate. The "secret ingredient" is cinnamon. You can add it as a stick or sprinkle ground cinnamon into the saucepan. Garnish with whipped cream. Enjoy! :~)

Laurie said...

I thought maybe cinnamon was the SECRET INGREDIENT. Thanks!