Friday, June 08, 2007





























Many things come to mind when I think of G'ma Opal.
Tomatoes, fishing, playing cards, and quilts all
define a sliver of her life. One other picture that
I see when I think of her is the old barn that is
near her house. It has been there as long as I can
remember, probably because it is older than I am.

I was talking with my cousin Kenny (from Florida) the
other day. I remember the old barn as a fun place to
play as a child. It seemed huge to my little girl eyes.
He remembers it being SO far from G'ma's house. In reality
it is really not at all that large and is but a short
distance from the house.

The barn is slated to come down soon. Uncle Jim is
concerned because of its great ricketyness. He has been
busily cleaning out everything from the inside in order
to ready it for the BIG DAY. It actually would have come
down a day or two ago except the weather has not been
cooperating.

The barn is a reminder of the frailities of life. May it
not be said of us, as of the one spoken of in Eccleiastes 5:16
"...And what profit has he who has labored for the wind?"
There is the eternal and it can be labored for even today.

1 comment:

LeftCoastOnlooker said...

I do so hate to see these old barns torn down. I love taking pictures of them. I suppose that's weird, but I got it from my aunt :)