Friday, February 15, 2008

Lately I've been meditating on two truths. These two
things, which are of great importance and comfort to
me are: the sufficiency of Scripture and the justice
of God.

I depend on the sufficiency of Scripture. It teaches
me all I need to know of God and what He desires of me.
I do not need to say, "If only God would speak to me
today." He is speaking to me today. I need only open
my Bible to hear God's voice.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.

If I depended on the whim of God for forgiveness, I would
be on very shaky ground. Maybe I would hope the person in
the judgment line directly in front of me would be really
a bad guy so that I might look quite good in comparison.
Maybe I would hope God was just in an especially good mood
when he got to me.

Thank God he is a just God. He cannot abide sin. We are
all sinners and we all sin. Sin must be paid for; it must
be dealt with. It has been paid for; it has been dealt with,
through the death of Christ and His taking our sin upon
Himself. Therefore, since God is just, He must accept the
payment made for us.

Certainly this is not a blanket payment for all mankind. But
it is for those who are His, those who have recognized and
admitted their sin and have trusted in the payment made on
their behalf.

God's justice is a bedrock. It is because of His justice that
I can rest in His forgiveness.

Romans 3:26
...to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that
He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in
Jesus.

No comments: