Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Works for me Wednesday

If you have prodigious amounts of laundry, as I do, you
might easily get discouraged over never seeing the
bottom of the clothes hamper. With a small farm,
sports, a husband who horseshoes and life in general we
have piles of stinky, dirty clothes. I have found some
ways to help me deal with those clothes that may be
helpful to others.

First, I had to develop the right attitude. I used to be so
discouraged over not seeing the bottom of the hamper. I
tried to do all the wash in one day and then would be so upset
when the first dirty piece hit the hamper. But when I began
to see the wash as an ongoing dance it became, almost, fun and
challenging to see how well I could do at it.

Second, I color code the hampers. If you have ever
gone from hamper to hamper gathering up whites only
to discover that you didn't really have enough for a full
load then this will work for you. I set aside one hamper
for whites and delicates (those are easily separated), one
for towels and jeans, and one for everything else. Now,
I can look in, see if there is enough for a load and go to it.
We are pretty limited on space and for a time I had the
hampers in the family room as part of the decoration. Now
they live in the coat closet. I will do whatever it takes to
keep this wash monster at bay.

Third, I have one great tip for those of you with sons that
have white baseball uniforms. The grass stains from
sliding used to be the bane of my life, but I have found
a solution. The Tide scrubber, a little battery run scrub
brush, does wonders. In about five minutes I can pretreat
the entire uniform with this and by adding in a presoak
time the washed the uniform sparkles...until the next
game (sigh).

Yesterday the towels out on the line were dry, I knew they
were dry, but I put off getting them in until, of course, it
started to pour. Oh well, life is interesting always!

No comments: