Friday, June 30, 2006

In Acts 11:18 the apostles and the new believers had
a tremendous paradigm shift. It was right after Peter
had gone to Cornelius, and he and all those with him
believed and were baptized with the Holy Spirit.

When they heard these things they became silent;
and they glorified God, saying, "Then God has also
granted to the Gentiles repentance to life."

I can just picture their astonishment and their jaw-to-the
floor disbelief. Their whole world had to shift a few
degrees to accomodate this new information. I both
love and hate when this happens to me. I love it because
it is exciting. New, unchartered territory is entered and
anything can begin to happen now. But, it is frightening
because of those same reasons. The familiar is, well just
that, familiar. It is comfortable. I like feeling at-home
with my thought life. When I have to begin to plow new
ground it is hard work and I never know just what will
begin to grow there.

The major paradigm shift in a person's life is that which
takes them from death to life. It is when they comprehend
that they need a Savior, because, on their own, they are
just not able to be good enough. And then, when they begin
to feel settled into that new life, God begins to send them
on a series of adventures that is breath-taking.

One would think that after 30+ years of being a believer the
paradigm shifts would begin to dissipate. Maybe I've come
close to learning all God wants me to learn. Maybe I've got
my ideas lined up perfectly with God's Word now. Fat chance!
God doesn't see it that way apparently. I seem to hear Him
say, not "Okay dear, you may now sit on your laurels, afterall
you've earned them!", but rather, "(small cough) Really
darlin' this is no time for sitting, you've still got a LOT to learn."

Soft sigh. Allright then, bring the shifts on, I'm ready for them.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

Excellent thoughts! I still have those wonderful (but challenging) "aha!" moments in my faith... even after 30 years as a Christian. I'm so pleased that the Spirit gently continues to "lead me into all truth." I am usually not conciously aware of His slow but deliberate guidance toward a new insight until I'm at the precipice... and then "whoosh" suddenly something clicks! I love it when that happens. It makes me feel so tenderly cared for my the Lord.

This week I was reading about a woman who has a ministry in Salt Lake City. She had the privilege of leading a Morman woman to Christ recently. It was a huge paradigm shift for that new Christian, who suddenly realized what she had believed all these years was false. Can you imagine?

Laurie said...

You are right... that would be more than amazing. Yes, when the mind can wrap itself around truth that it never before knew...wonderful indeed.