Wednesday, June 07, 2006








I know that Vacation Bible School has gone out
of fashion in many churches, but it is still one of our
biggest yearly outreaches. And, for us, it works.
We have had families begin to attend that were
previously unchurched. So, since this VBS idea
works for me I thought it would be a good idea
to add to the queue for Words for Me Wednesday.

Coming up with appropriate crafts for VBS is always
a challenge. But I have one full-proof craft that is
inexpensive and works for almost any age. It is
adaptable, easy, and lots of fun. The group I work
with most are the 10-12 year olds, and they love it.
When they finish their other crafts they'll ask if they
can make this one again.

It takes salt, sidewalk chalk, lots of throwaway
bowls and a glass container for each child. This is
the cheapie way to make sand art.

Pour a small amount of salt into a bowl. Take any
color chalk you want and rub it over the salt until
the salt has the shade you want. Then pour it
into the container and begin anew. You can fill the
salt/sand up to the top and poke with a sharp stick
down the sides to make the mountains of regular
sand art. You can fill it up partway and put a small
candle on top for a candle holder. You can use one
of those small fancy bottles for a cute little knick-
knack. Personally I prefer to use pint canning jars
because that takes lots of salt and because my kids
are never tired of making these.

This goes perfect with any lesson that has anything
to do with a desert or mountains or being the
light of the world or...(I told you it was adaptable!)

5 comments:

Pam said...

Such a cool idea! I'm not involved in the planning of our VBS, but I may use this idea as a homeschool activity for my three sweeties! Thanks for stopping by my site this morning. Come again anytime.

Carol said...

That sounds like a fun idea! I'm thinking the salt can be easier to work with than sand, too.

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

I don't know the Rascher's...yet! Do you know where in Java they are? We are also on the island of Java. What are their first names?
BTW, I love your WFMW!!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

That sounds like an awesome project for that age group. Salt is cheap and cleans up easily. My kind of project.

anna said...

You might be able to color the salt more easily if you used food coloring. I've done this with sugar: add a few drops of food coloring to the sugar and mix. Some of the sugar gets clumpy, but if you do this rapidly, it colors the sugar very nicely. I expect salt will produce the same effect (and you can make more colors using the instructions on the back of the box).

http://www.stepbystep.savingadvice.com