Friday, June 23, 2006














Last night Kent asked Princess Daughter and me if we
wanted to go visit Grandma Opal (she's amazing, 95 and
still lives alone). Usually we walk down the gravel, it is
just 1/5 of a mile, but it was raining so we hopped in the
car and drove.

We sat and chatted for a few minutes. Then Princess
Daughter did the two things she always does. First she
wandered into the kitchen, opened up the microwave,
and took out some leftover bacon and biscuits. Grandma
always keeps her leftovers there and my children have
been known to walk in the front door, raid the microwave
and continue walking straight out the backdoor.

Then Princess Daughter, (who is actually named Hattie,
after my grandma, whose real name is not Opal...figure
that one out) sidled up to G. Opal and said, "Wanna play
some cards?" Grandma said, "I thought you'd never
ask." And the competition was on.

Princess Daughter has just recently learned to play High Five,
which isthe family card game. Kent, who is competition focused,
likes it a lot better than Uno, Skippo, Hand and Foot or any of
the other "luck of the draw" games. And really, you can't marry
into the family if you won't play it. Well last night, G. Opal and I
were partners and Kent and PD were partners. PD is still a little
young to the game and while usually she plays very well, last
night she made a few strategic errors which left the ending
score at -15 for Dad and Daughter and 59 for Granny and
Grand-daughter. Boy did G. Opal gloat. She leaned over to
Kent and said, "That's what you call gettin' beat!"

Afterwards PD wandered across the way to her Grand Uncles Jim's
house and G. Opal wanted to play a few hands of rummy. I wiped
up on that, so overall I had a very winning night.

I thought you might like to see one of her quilts.

3 comments:

Susan said...

How gorgeous!!! I just came by through the CWO blogring. I love the idea of living so near family and making sure that children are experiencing the generations that are their legacies. My kids get to spend time with their grandparents and great grandmother...but not enough, in my opinion. Thanks for the reminder of just how important these visits are....

Be Blessed!!

Susannah said...

An amazing post... so far from my urban experience. It's a privilege to meet your family. Wow!

owlhaven said...

gorgeous!!!