Friday, June 16, 2006

I love living in Mayberry, USA. Yesterday when I was in
town for my weekly errand day and grocery shopping
extravaganza I ran into my mother and grandmother (95).
(Okay, I didn't literally run into them, I met them as they
were driving off from Freds and I was getting ready to
shop at said store.)

Mom stopped the car and jumped out, she asked me to take
the $25 worth of pennies she had just gotten at the bank for
my kids and two of their second cousins for Bible School.
(We have an offering contest between the boys and the girls.
But the contest is which offering weighs the most, and so pennies
is the coin of choice for the kids. The contest lasts all week.
Thus far the girls have won two nights and the boys have won
two nights. Tonight will be the deciding factor for which color
color ribbon-pink or blue-the trophy will wear until next year's
VBS. This year the money is going to help send a team from our
church to Mexico on a mission trip through Campus Crusade.)

Grandma and Mom asked me to go out with them for a lunch
of chicken and dumplings. I had to say, "No," because I had
left Hattie at home in charge of making a dinner of chicken
and noodles. And, though her three brothers and dad were
there to oversee her efforts, I felt uneasy in my mind about
being gone too long. I wish I could have though. One has to
wonder how many more dinners out they will be able to
enjoy with their grandma when she is going to be 96 in October.

1 comment:

Susannah said...

An amazing story! Thanks for the the glimpse of Mayberry you're giving to those of us who are urban-dwellers.