Friday, June 16, 2006

Quetion: What do softball and the Christian Life have in
common?

Answer: Romans 7

Romans 7:15, 23

For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I
will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that
I do....But I see another law in my members, warring
against the law of my mind, and bringing me into
captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

I was voted to be catcher on our church-league team. This
is not necessarily an honor. Nobody else wants the job.
When you have 101 degree weather and you have to get
up and down with every pitch you have just experienced
a full aerobic workout without ever moving anything but
your knees.

I have a little problem with softball. I am afraid of the ball.
That is why I have always volunteered to play outfield.
My theory goes this way, the farther from the ball you are
at the initial point of contact with the bat, the slower the
ball will be going when it gets to you, therefore the less it
will hurt when it actually makes contact with your body.
Why do I play you ask. One wonders, one really wonders.

This year though, no one wanted to be catcher, so I humbly
accepted the honor. Now I have discovered something new,
not only am I afraid of the ball, I am afraid of the swinging
bat. Because of this, I close my eyes when the bat is
swung. This is not really a smart move. If my eyes were
open I could see what was going on and potentially save my
body from being hit by either the ball or the bat. But with
my eyes closed I am in grave danger.

See, my mind tells me one thing, but my body does the other.
I know what to do, but I can't do it. The pull to false protection
is so very strong. The law of my members is warring with the
law of my mind.

Romans 7:24,25

O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from
this body of death? I thank God--through Jesus Christ
our Lord!

My career as a world famous softball catcher is on a slowtrack
to nowhere. Thank God His grace keeps me from saying the
same about my Christian walk.

No comments: