Friday, August 18, 2006

Notes from beyond.

Elizabeth Elliot says in "Trusting God in a Twisted World":

God does not promise solutions to all our problems.
The Gospel is not a guarantee of the healing of all
diseases, the dissolving of all debts, the mending of
all marriages, and the fulfilling of all desires on
this side of the Jordan. The Gospel, as the good
news of freedom from sin and self, is in fact also a
guarantee of what Jesus called tribulation. You can't
live in a sinful world without tribulation. Jesus
came to bring not peace but a sword....What I have
to say is infinitely more important than solutions. It
is a matter of obedience. In other words, if you are
the one deeply longing for help, there are answers--
answers which will please God and enable you to
do his will....But be careful. The disciple cannot
test the answers in terms of earthly success or
satisfaction or solutions.

You know, it always seems to come back to the words
of Job so long ago. "Though He slay me, I will hope in
Him." Job 13:15 He is the King. Where else can I go?
He is my home, my safe place, my refuge, my hope.

No comments: