Wednesday, August 09, 2006

What a sweet idea! Kent told me the other day that
if he had to have two wives he would want the other
one to be exactly like me: same height (see, I am so
short that two of me would make one regular person)
same color hair (whatever that color happens to be
this week) same faults, same strengths, same mind,
same disposition. What a compliment. Or, so I
thought.

Just exactly what would it be like to have two of me?
I wonder how well I would get along with myself. I don't
think it would be a very comfortable home for me to
live in. I know myself too well. I know my sin too well.
I recognize the depth of my dirtiness as no one else can.
I would not like to have another me constantly looking
my way with a knowing smirk.

David, long before my time, realized this very same thing.

Psalm 51:1-12

Have mercy upon me, O God,
According to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of
Your tender mercies,
Blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
And cleanse me from my sin.

For I acknowledge my transgressions,
And my sin is always before me.
Against You, You only, have I sinned,
And done this evil in Your sight--
That You may be found just when
You
speak,
And blameless when You judge.

Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother ocnceived me.
Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to

know wisdom.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
Wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Make me hear joy and gladness,
That the bones You have broken may rejoice.
Hide Your face from my sins,
And blot out all my iniquities.

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation
And uphold me by Your generous Spirit.


Oh, but thank God for I John 1:8,9

If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves,
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
He is faithful and just to forgive
us our sins and to cleanse
us from all unrighteousness.

I guess I'd be not harder to get along with than any other
fallen creature on this planet. Maybe.

2 comments:

Susannah said...

Yes, we all have our faults, but I'm sure you're a joy to live with (I can tell!) Sounds like your husband is a keeper too.

I've just ordered a Bible study on David (Beth Moore) so it's funny you quoted him here. He was a mix of good and bad, but certainly beloved of God.

Laurie said...

e-mom,
David's personality was rich wasn't it. He always reminds me of the color purple (deep, a little magical, and royal). The Beth Moore studies are good!